Sunday, July 11, 2010

Salzburg, Austria

Well, the train ride to Salzburg was just as amazing as the day before. I was able to find my hostal pretty easy and I headed out to explore the town. Out of every place I have been, this is the most peaceful. I found the city center and walked around all of the shops, saw the cathedral, and just explored the city. I bought a ticket to go up to the fortress that sits at the top of the hill overlooking Salzburg. That was really cool and I was able to overlook the entire city and even into Germany a little bit. After I spent a few hours up there I headed back to the hostal to rest and get ready for the next day.

Today I booked a tour of Hitler’s Eagles’ Nest! I was really excited to see this. I have heard good things and seen some great pictures but I wanted to see it for myself. What I didn't know is that Germany is 20 minutes from Salzburg. The town right across the border is where the Eagle’s Nest is. It was just a amazing as all of the movies and pictures that I have seen. I thought that since I was near Germany I better get some WWII history in the mix.

I went back to the hostal and cleaned up a little bit. I decided that I would buy myself to something nice so I went and picked up a real Austrian beer stein that I had seen the day before. It cost quite a bit but I really liked it and thought it would be a good souvenir. I meet a few people in the hostal and we found a good Irish pub to watch the world cup. I pretty much have watched every game that I could. I think that I have become a fan of soccer. Tomorrow I go to Geneva, I hope the train ride is full of the alps.

No comments:

Post a Comment